New Years Resolutions – Why don’t they work ?
I am sure that you’ve either set new years resolutions in the past or you are about to or just have set some for 2012. What usually happens when we do this, perhaps it goes something like …
- Get really excited about a the new year, a new start
- Make a statement to an audience of what you want
- Focus on it for the first few days
- Life gets busy, back to work, kids etc and the resolution becomes less thought of
- After a while the resolution is a thing of the past, a set of forgotten words
Why does this happen ?
We tend to and focus on things that are relevant in the moment – what is important to us right now, what needs our attention right now so that we can move forward, improve, learn new things, grow and develop. As soon as we do this we start to pour energy into what we want and it tends to materialise. We do this with everything we ever pay attention to … positive or negative.
Let’s see how this works with an example below …
- Want a new job to learn something new, to develop and progress – your motivator
- Update your CV, phone the agencies – actions to focus your energy on
- You are offered an interview – visualise working in the new role
- You attend the interview and give of your best – believe the role is yours
- You achieve your goal
The key elements to creating a successful goal are :
- Decide what new things you want to learn to grow and experience from
- Identify the goal that leads to the new learning, development and growth
- List the actions you need to take, to achieve the goal
- Focus on the actions every day
- Give yourself a timescale to complete each of the actions
- Spend at least 20 mins every day visualising yourself having achieved the goal
- Acknowledge every day what you’ve achieved and what still needs to be done
- Believe you are entitled and deserve the goal you have set
If you apply these rules the results are tangible – you will get what you want so be careful what you ask for … you will get it!
Posted in Success
. Bookmark the article